UNITE Global Summit: Virtual September 7-8, 2020
With ten years to reach the 2030 SDGs, infectious diseases (IDs) remain a serious health threat.
The introduction of COVID-19 demonstrates the urgent need for engagement and education of policy makers on epidemic preparedness to strengthen health systems responses for future infectious disease outbreaks. UNITE Global Summit: Virtual aims to commit, inspire, and empower policy makers towards the achievement of the UN SDGs over the next decade, while building a roadmap on clear policy actions to eliminate the threat posed by communicable diseases.
On September 7 and 8, 2020, parliamentarians and world health leaders will meet virtually on a global level to discuss and align this common vision. Among confirmed panel sessions are “HIV/AIDS and Tuberculosis”; “ Malaria and Neglected Tropical Diseases”; “ Innovative Health Financing” and many others. Special attention will be given to pandemic preparedness with an opening session focused on Epidemics- what are we learning from the global response to COVID-19?. Among confirmed speakers are:
Dr. Richard Hatchett CEO of Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI);
Mr. Michael Weinstein – President of AIDS Healthcare Foundation (AHF);
Mr. Alex Harris – Head of Global Policy & Advocacy, Wellcome Trust.
Summit objectives are:
- Determine concrete ways to achieve political impact that can shape the future agenda to eliminate the threat of IDs in the globe.
- Provide update on the current state of IDs towards facilitating data driven and evidenced based policy making.
- Highlight the untapped potential in involving community, along with scientific and political organizations, towards innovative approaches in tacking IDs.
- Foster networking opportunities and challenges for MPs to act locally and globally.
- Provide space for peer learning by sharing knowledge, practices, experiences among policy makers.
- Signing of UNITE 2020 Action Statement, urgently pledging parliamentarians to achieve the SDGs and ending infectious diseases as a global health threat.
It has been clear that without shared responsibility and inclusive policy-making, it is hard to eliminate infectious disease as a global threat. Join UNITE Global Summit:Virtual to become a part of this transformation! More information on agenda and registration is coming soon.